December 19, 2012

Born To Run

Over the last couple of years I've been told numerous times that I should read "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall. For whatever reason I imagined it to be a boring and dry book about proper running posture and training techniques, and refused to give it a try. So recently, on my trip the to library, I was perusing the non-fiction section and accidentally came across the book. I figured I had the time, so why not finally give it a try, so I added it to my check-out basket. On my way home I stopped by a cafe and cozied up in the corner with a cup of coffee. I was immediately captivated by McDougall's writing style, and only when I looked up from the book to refill my coffee, did I realise that I had been completely zoned out of my environment for the last two hours.


Born To Run by Christopher McDougall book cover

There are many reasons I'm highly considering adding this book to my bookshelf permanently. (This is actually a big statement, because: a) I refuse to spend money on something unless am I absolutely sure I will read it multiple times and b) after selling most of our possessions earlier this year to go on this trip, I now double-question the necessity of adding anything new.) One of the reasons I really enjoyed reading this book is McDougall's haphazard writing style. Throughout the book he has one main storyline, but he intermingles multiple random stories all throughout. The way he goes about throwing in the random tangents into the main story really appealled to my short attention span. Just as I was getting bored with one story, he'd start up the next one and I was enthralled again.

Another reason I really liked reading this book was all the interesting facts and studies that the author mentions. Throughout the book he does discuss theories on running technique and training styles, but the way he presents the information is not dry at all. I'm a little embarrassed to say this...but one of the neat facts he talks about is how the Chia seed is a very large part of the super runners' diet (the super runners are the Mexican tribe his main story is about). So he goes into detail about how this seed is supposed to be a superfood and provide long lasting energy and have all these other great health benefits. So...Sky and I might have gone to the store and bought ourselves some Chia. That's right, the Cha-Cha-Chia seeds, as in the infamous Chia pet. The results are not yet conclusive, but I do seem to have more energy these days. That will be a post for another day.

So there you go, in case you were on the fence about reading this book, or maybe you were looking for something to read over the holiday break, I would highly recommend the "Born to Run" book. Just beware...you might get sudden urges to go run 100 miles this weekend. :o)

Happy Reading!

M.

P.S. Random cool fact...while trying to find a book cover image, I accidentally stumbled onto Bearfoot Ted's blog! You'll know who I'm talking about once you've read the book. Neat!

Email me

No comments:

Post a Comment